28 September 2009

Day 128


Soccer match, Thiva, originally uploaded by Ryan Runs Europe.

45.7 Kilometers.
I slept late, and in the morning I informed Chris that I had decided to skip past Aliartos and run straight to Thebes (Thiva). He told me that his family would try to make some calls to see if they could find a friend to host me...which was pretty good news for me. After a couple minutes of phone calls, as I was working on the computer, Chris came over to inform me that he had found a place for me to stay. The Communist party of Thebes had paid to put me in a hotel room for the night.
This came as a surprise. The party has a pretty big crowd in Greece, and well...I guess they are pretty good and very close people. I don't generally go for the hotel, but it had been done, and as I ran I contemplated the amazing hospitality of so many strangers. I contemplated many things on this run, and crazy ideas ran through my head. I ran continuously except for one stop in Aliartos to drink a Powerade, a bottle of water, and to eat the "Crunch" bar that Chris had given me.
I had left rather late, and got into Thiva around 6 pm. I was disappointed to see that there wasn't any Sphinx, inbred eye gouging or lover's armies. I got a call from my mom for the first time in a while, which was nice, and we talked for a bit before I went into an Internet cafe to do some planning. In Gmail I got into contact with Chris again, and he contacted one of his comrades (awesome that he actually used that word) who would come and meet me to hang out for the night. Sure enough, Panayiotis came into the place and tapped me on the shoulder, and we went together to a very busy cafe to watch Panathinaikos win in a soccer match. I talked about many things with Panayiotis and his friends...a lot about politics and religion, and it was interesting to see where our ideals came together and where they diverged.
We went out for a drink together, and I spent the night laughing with some really cool people...and I went to bed around 1:30, in luxury. Thanks KKE!

10 comments:

  1. yup. . .ala "the running diaries."

    ReplyDelete
  2. as I ran I contemplated the amazing hospitality of so many strangers.

    awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Warm place to sleep and wonderful people to spend the night with. Everyone here sends their love and big hugs to you. Ryan, keep smiling:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that is neat, the Communist party paid for your sleeping accomodations!..

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long live Communism!
    Communists are very good people and it was our obligation to find a safe place for you to sleep. I have never meet my comrades from Thebes but just because they are communists I found their phone number , called and asked them if they can do something for you. The result was the hotel room. Good luck for your last race, Marathon to Athens !

    ReplyDelete
  7. RYAN I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE ALMOST TO ATHENS! OMG. HOW APPROPRIATE THAT YOU ARE RUNNING THROUGH MARATHON! AFTER ALL, HAVE YOU NOT DONE A HALF OR FULL MARATHON JUST ABOUT EVERY DAY! YOU ARE AMAZING, PUTTING THE ENERGIZER BUNNY TO SHAME!! I WISH I COULD BE THERE TO WAVE A FLAG AND CHEAR YOU IN....I THINK ALL THE 964 FOLLOWERS OF YOUR BLOG ARE THERE IN SPIRIT......CONGRATULATIONS ON REACHING YOUR GOAL.....OR ALMOST BEING THERE! Does Marathon have any association with the race that is named the same?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The event is named after the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens. Marathon is also a town near the site of battle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the ODYSSEY such hospitality from strangers they called the "traveler's gift." He who risked his life in his travels deserved great hospitality from those he met. Travel in those days travel was very dangerous and travelers were admired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryan, So glad that you have made it safely thus far. I lived in the Communist Party Hotel for 3 months, and was entertained at the Communist Retreat Center. They treated me with respect and were most hospitable to me while living in Russia. Of course, my son could understand the leaders' conversations of dismay of our family living there. The Russian people showed us much love and care. I loved living there, though I was well aware of our political and economic differences, and how they impacted each of our countries. How nice that they provided a nice place for you to rest. Blessings as you complete your travels!

    ReplyDelete