13 September 2009

Day 113


Last Real Run in Italy!, originally uploaded by Ryan Runs Europe.

39 Kilometers.
Around 11 am I got up and started preparing for my run. I got some junk food from the train station cafe for "brunch" and changed my clothes in the station bathroom. I have felt more fresh on runs...but this was my last real run in Italy, so I definitely enjoyed it. I was feeling pretty crazy about being so close to the end of Italy. Hence the above photo.
When I got into Brindisi I was wiped out. I wandered around for a while and called Frederica, a cousin of Sasa, who I stayed with back in Parma. Her dad picked me up near the train station and we went over to a tourism agency where I booked my ticket to Greece for the morning.
I took a well needed shower and washed all my stuff, wearing just my track pants and jacket around for the rest of the night. In the evening we went out to their place on the ocean to hang out for a little while before coming back for dinner. Around 11 I went out with Frederica and a couple of her friends around Ostuni. There was a town festival going on, and I got to see my last cheesy Italian line dancing before we went and had a drink at a pub near the center. Around 1 am I went to sleep...in a very comfortable bed. I slept like a rock.

9 comments:

  1. I have dreaded this, now it's only a couple or more weeks until you are in Athens. It has been such a joy following your journey thru the photos and your stories.
    Keep on running!

    Katarina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Greece!!!!! what tales will we be hearing..Umpa! Cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on making it to Greece! I have so enjoyed reading about all your adventures, checking in to see if you found a place to sleep, etc. What a fabulous trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. conrats...your stories are always awesome...but this is my favorite pic thus far shear joy on your face, very cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you're already making your way into Greece! Maybe you'll run into someone else traveling cross country who speaks Greek so you can stand in the back smiling and trying not to look creepy as they negotiate a place to stay...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA ... cute picture! Glad you made a successful trip! Almost there ... not running to Greece? I see you got a ticket ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet dude! Guess you're either in Greece now or on the boat, good job making it this far, now it's the home stretch. Your days are numbered in double digits so by your mathematical selfpsychotrickery the rest should be easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, thanks guys. Made it to Greece alive! Not quite over yet...still a little over three weeks to go...lots of mountain villages and being completely confused.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want to say you are so incredibly cute. your pictures are adorable. ha ha. and also enjoy reading about your journey of course.

    ReplyDelete