31 July 2009

Day 70

41 Kilometers.
I finally got to sleep, and slept until almost 10 am. When I woke up, I got ready and we went to grab something to eat near the Piazza Grande (another UNESCO site, by the way). I had a salami sandwich, a croissant, and a few glasses of water before saying goodbye and setting out on my way. I stopped after about an hour to grab some water from a fountain. At two hours I stopped again at a gas station to drink two Powerades and a bottle of water. I was thirsty again after about two minutes, and eventually stopped again to get a drink from another fountain that I found.
When I got into Bologna, I crossed over a river where some people were bathing. It looked awfully appealing, but solving a more important problem first, I went down the street and bought two bottles of gatorade. I drank them both, and still thirsty went for another. Then I went back to the river and went for a swim to cool off. It was also good to rinse off my shorts, because they had a pretty nasty white coating of salt and sweaty sunscreen.
I went to an Internet cafe and found the number of Lorenzo, my couchsurfing host for the night, and spent a little bit of time writing a post for the day three days before (I am just now getting caught up). I met Lorenzo at 6:45 in the Piazza Maggiore, and we walked around town, checking out one of the oldest universities in Europe (I think about 700 years older than Columbia, one of the oldest universities in the US). Lorenzo brought me through many interesting areas (including the leaning tower above), and we ended up getting a drink at the oldest pub in town. During our drink we talked about travels and about more cultural differences between Italy and the states. We spoke (in English) about the problems of dubbed films and television here (as in France and Germany, everything is dubbed here rather than subtitled). Until I got to France, I had never really realized that each American actor has a single person who always does their voice. Here, there is a voice of Stallone that is instantly recognizable as Stallone (and nobody has ever heard his real voice). The problem here though, is when the dub star dies and the real actor keeps making movies--how do you replace the voice of Woody Allen or Sylvester Stallone when it is the same voice you have heard for your entire life? I don't know...but I thought it was an interesting dilemma.
We went back to Lorenzo's apartment and had some dinner, and I washed my clothes under the sink and took a shower. Lorenzo had a fan and a comfortable sofa bed, and I got an incredibly good night of sleep.

5 comments:

  1. The other side of the dubbing issue is when the real actor dies, you're suddenly out of a job... and you can hardly start doing someone else's voice as you'll immediately be recognized for the voice you used to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your adventure is a web highlight each day. Look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just moved from rural Washington to California, and were surfing through the channels and found Titanic. Dubbed in Spanish. It was awesome. Only the dialogue was dubbed...Rose's panting while she was going through the chest deep water was still the original actress, but the speaking was someone else entirely. It was, in a word, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. And the dubbing dilemma is fascinating! I had no idea they commissioned one actor for each American actor. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ryan, We just moved to a house. Between unpacking and taking care of a toddler and a baby, keeps me very busy. Still I do read all your blogs and love what you're doing. Very proud of you and keep smileing:-) Love Phula

    ReplyDelete